cPanel is a software specially designed to supply a graphical interface for managing easily the daily tasks involved with hosting a website.
Additionally, it provides you text interface (command line), automation tools to make administrative tasks easier, and API (application programming interface) based access. This last means a software interface that connects computers and different software. It helps you to manage the different programs you need to install for running your website.
Through cPanel, users can create databases, install content management systems (CMS) like WordPress, monitor available storage space and bandwidth, manage e-mails for the domain, the DNS, and so much more.
When you access your cPanel, you will see a complete menu with different choices (e-mail, files, SEO and Marketing tools, databases, domains, metrics, security, software, advanced preferences, applications, apps installer, etc.). You just have to click the icons of the functions you look for and adjust their settings as you please.
- Domains. In this section, you can set up additional domains, park them, create subdomains, etc.
- E-mail. You can create, modify or delete e-mail accounts. You can also modify passwords, MX records, etc.
- Files. You can access and change files you saved in your account, backup, create FTP accounts, check available storage space on your disk, restore files deleted by accident, etc.
- Metrics. Here you find different statistics to know your audience and enhance your website by offering it interesting content and a better experience.
Advantages of having cPanel.
- With the cPanel, you can manage your web hosting without programming, coding, and different computing languages knowledge. For example, to create multiple subdomains through cPanel is only a matter of clicking and filling some fields. Without cPanel, you would have to edit the Apache configuration.
- cPanel executes different tasks automatically. For example, you can add a program for scheduling. Define a date or the frequency, and it will do it for you. From scanning the server for failure detection, backing up files, updating of software, etc. Due to this automation of key tasks, vulnerabilities can be reduced.
- To navigate around all these management categories and tools is simpler. cPanel concentrates everything in a clear and organized menu.
- cPanel’s compatibility ensures you can customize yours through third-party applications.
- It runs on the most popular browsers for you to access easily.
- cPanel includes features to strengthen security. Keeping users’ data secure, adding passwords to directories, two-factor authentication, blocking suspicious IP addresses, etc.
Related article: Blacklisting and Whitelisting: Differences
Is it paid or free software?
cPanel software costs. But generally, the cost is paid directly by web hosting service providers. Users looking for this service sometimes think it’s free because they see it included already in the plans that hosting providers offer. But the cost for website owners is already included in the plan they pay.
The cPanel offers different plans and costs. They suit all kinds of needs. From freelancers, a small business requiring only one hosting account, to application developers, data centers, and large hosting providers. Prices go from $15 to $48.50 monthly.
The benefits of cPanel are clear, but still, its cost can be seen as a disadvantage by some users. Especially considering there are other control panel alternatives, even free ones. In any case, you can try cPanel for 15 days free of charge and decide for yourself!